ALL SAINTS CHURCH , EARSHAM

Earsham: The parish church of All Saints stands close to the river Waveney, its shingle spire - added to the 14th-century tower some time about 1700 - attesting the presence of the village, and of God, in this part of the valley.

It has probably stood here since Norman times when, in 1086, the Doomsday Book recorded the water mill nearby. Before that, there may well have been a small timber building, and the knoll on which the church stands suggests that it could have been originally the site of a "preaching cross" where Christian people from a wider area would gather.

During the medieval period, in successive alterations the nave was lengthened, the tower and chancel were added, and finally the windows were greatly enlarged. Internally, the church (listed Grade I) is notable for the rare 16th century "twelve apostles" font (sadly defaced in Cromwell's purge) and a west gallery constructed for the musicians in about 1800 as well as a number of fine roundels of old Flemish glass engraved with biblical scenes - from demolition of an abbey in Belgium at that time.

There is a very good extension with kitchen facilities to give a place for meetings and courses such as Alpha as well as a place for the village groups to use such as the toddler group and village craft group. And, most importantly - it has a loo!

VISITING and DIRECTIONS
For anyone wishing to spend a time of quiet or visit the church, the building is kept unlocked everyday during daylight hours.

The church can be seen when entering the main part of the village, both from the bypass and from Bungay. It is on the junction where School Rd joins Church Rd, next to the Atlantic Country Stores. There is plenty of on-road parking and an extra carpark can be opened for larger services.

For Sat Nav's the postcode is NR35 2TQ.

We have a service at 9:30am every 2nd Sunday in the church and on the 4th Sunday we have a Cafe Service at 10am in Earsham School, starting with coffee and cakes with craft followed by a contemporary service.

MAP & PARISH BOUNDARY
A map of the Parish Boundary with the church marked can be found HERE

Click here The Benefice Page to view our other churches.

or click here The Service Page to view our service times.

EARSHAM SCHOOL

We also have a wonderful Church of England foundation school in the parish that we have strong links with. The school uses the church for special services as well as for lessons. As a church we provide a number of governors and other volunteers, take assemblies and help the school where we can. More information about our local school can be found on their website.

Earsham Primary CofE VA School

Inside All Saints church

All Saints church, Earsham
All Saints church, Earsham

A Historic Connection

Our church bells around the Benefice rang out, with others all over Norfolk, on the weekend of the 200th anniversary of the battle of Trafaglar, in October 2005

One of our churches has a particular link with the battle: at Earsham is interred the body of a veteran of the battle, Capt. John Windham Dalling RN, who at the age of 16 had taken part at Trafalgar as a Midshipman. He died in 1853, aged 64, at Earsham Hall, where he had come to live during his retirement.

Luckily for him, perhaps - though doubtless to his great regret at the time - his ship, Defence (Capt: Sir G.Hope), was one of the few out of that great fleet which saw little action. A couple of years later, however, he was involved in some of the notable "Small Boat Actions" in the Adriatic, in command of one of the boats. His Captain now - on HMS Amphion - was Sir W.Hoste, another Norfolk man and celebrated today as one of Nelson’s commanders at Trafalgar. JMM.

Further information: After Adriatic, posted to Cape (where RM was Lt.Governor): c1816 posted Scotland in command of a sloop – became a friend of Sir Walter Scott: later commanded HMS Raleigh and HMS Daphne: promoted Post Captain 1828, retired c1840.
Married 1844 Frances Fanshawe (b.1813); no children.