ST. PETER' S CHURCH , HEDENHAM
St Peter’s church has stood on its commanding position above the stream, overlooking this very beautiful corner of south Norfolk, for at least 800 years.
The parish which it serves is shaped rather like a long rectangle, about 3 miles north-east to southwest and 11 miles across. It is bisected by the B1332 Norwich to Bungay road, from which a lane turns northwards beside the beautiful Tudor brick Hedenham Hall (built c.1590) and reaches the church after about 2 miles.
The Romans made bricks here at Hedenham; their extensive kiln and four of their burial urns have been discovered. William the Conqueror’s nephew owned the manor in 1086, when the Domesday Book was compiled and Pope Innocent IV issued a Papal Bull in 1247 (the original still exists) in answer to a complaint by John, the Rector, that there was also a Vicar here, and confirming the decision of the Bishop of Norwich to put a stop to this!
VISITING & DIRECTIONS
For anyone wishing to visit our church or churchyard, the building is kept unlocked everyday during daylight hours.
The church has recently installed a toilet and small kitchen which is open during services.
The church is found on Church Road, which runs off the main Norwich Rd. The junction is opposite the Mermaid Pub, which at present is a Tandoori restaurant. There are lots of places to park on the grass verges around the church. For Sat Nav's the postcode is NR35 2LF.
MAP & PARISH BOUNDARY
A map of the Parish Boundary and with the church marked can be found HERE
Click here The Benefice Page to view our other churches.
or click here The Service Page to view our service times.